Thursday, May 14, 2009

kitchen takeover

So since the end of exams, craigslist has begun to intrude into the kitchen. In the last week, amidst cleaning the whole upstairs, we found a little bit more space, and motivation, to continue to clutter our lives with more awesome stuff.


Pictured: Dimensional Plastics Corp. Table and Chairs set

These are excellent! Dimensional Plastics was apparently (according to the internets) established in 1956, as evidenced by the cheesy and easy to google Krinklglas (i'm not entirely sure what it is, other than an interesting compound and the company surrounding it). either way, Dimensional Plastics at some point between 1956 and probably the 70s apparently made the components of a table and chairs set.


These things are great - the chairs are shaped wood and upholstered vinyl on a metal base, and the table is a delightfully patterned plastic surface on a matching base.


Also recently acquired, but not as of yet mentioned, is a set of three tables - one low coffee, and two mid-height end/side tables - all McCobb-ey knockoffs.


Here the coffee table amidst clutter, 


Here one of the sides. This one has slightly sturdier legs than the other, but, of course, that circular stain. Still probably keeping it. These tables conjure the image of McCobb's planner series:


They're certainly not as valuable, but they look great, and I love them. 

In other news - one of the classes I recently finished called for a final project - a book - to be produced; the point of the class was to deconstruct the traditional identity of what one normally takes to be a book - a codex with pages containing information - and to study the categorization of information throughout history, and the development of literature as a result. My entry consisted of the metaphysical location of the production of a story - the forum where stories take place... for me. So I made a room, symbolic of maybe a place in my imagination, and of course it had to be a little stylized.


Inside the room I placed words and phrases on wiry bases that sat pretty much anywhere - they were interchangeable and malleable, making the whole thing a little interactive... really the relevance is the fact that I kind of want a room with some of these features in my real house.


AJ pointed me in the direction of the table and chairs set, as well as helped me out with the miniature room - the clock and pillows are hers. More to come soon.

1 comment:

  1. Your new table and chairs are fantastic! The set of tables are great and I've got Conran's The House Book, too - love it! Wish I had The Kitchen Book.

    Your miniature room is very groovy, and I'm impressed at your whole concept with the words.

    ReplyDelete